|Home Concerts 2018-2019 Concerts 2019-2020 Membership Contact Us|
In 1936 Louis F. Miller, owner of Hulpieu Miller Furniture Co., contacted the Community Service Division of Columbia Concerts Corp. of the Columbia Broadcasting System in New York to inquire about organizing a concert series in Dodge City. Mr. Miller’s wife, Jan Hellworth Miller, a piano teacher and also the past director of the Presbyterian Church choir, and Mrs. Miller’s mother, Mrs. Roy Hellworth, also a retired piano teacher and organist at the Presbyterian Church for 64 years, joined with other Dodge City musicians who wanted to have quality concerts in Dodge City and to make artistic experiences available to everyone in Dodge City and the surrounding area.
The Community Concert Service Division in New York had, at that time, concert associations established in 300 cities across the country. Though hesitant about the potential for success of a concert series in a town of only 9,000, they were ultimately convinced by the local organizers and agreed to the establishment of a concert association in Dodge City. The organization was named The Dodge City Cooperative Concerts Association (later changed to Dodge City Community Concert Association). The performances took place in the Dodge City High School Auditorium and continued for many years until the Civic Center was built in 1955.
From those humble beginnings, Dodge City Community Concerts has grown to offer the area some of the very finest concerts available for the live stage. Although times have changed and tastes have expanded, we still continually strive to offer the quality and variety of performances that the people of this area expect and want.
Dodge City Community Concert Association